Oct 13, 2007

adventures continued


I spent about a week at home with my parents. Some of it was spent re-sorting, re-packing, and re-wondering why in the world I had so much junk. Much of it was just being with my parents, doing the normal family things we do, which was wonderful. It was also great to see my Grandma Jeanette and Grandpa Jim -- family friends who live by my parents, who actually used to go to Arizona almost yearly, staying in the exact same part of Phoenix where I now live. And I continued to take in the scenery -- last looks at the wide, flat farmlands, the sunsets, Lake Huron, the house blessedly out in the middle of nowhere that Grandma Jeanette & Grandpa Jim live in, and that I remember so well from childhood. I wondered if I would ever return to it since they are trying to sell it and move into an apartment.
I (finally) finished packing my Jetta, and then another departure came, this time just a temporary parting from my parents, since they would be coming out a few days later to my (biological) grandparents' house in Wisconsin, the first stop on my "adventure." However, this one brought tears, too, which I didn't expect, since I haven't really lived in my parents' house since they moved there -- they moved while I was in college, and I spent the summers every year afterward on campus, and then was living in Jackson by the time I graduated, so it was more of "home because Mom and Dad live there," not because it was somewhere I was familiar with, somewhere that I had a history. The concept of home is something I've been thinking about over the past few months, as it has necessarily evolved into something new, something I haven't yet settled on in my own mind, as I've moved from house to house and state to state. I think at this point, my tears mourned leaving the last piece of "home" I had, what that meant, and the reality that I no longer would live close enough to drive home on the weekends.

1 Comments:

Blogger sideshowsam said...

Wow that t-shirt is AWESOME - The Giant Octopus. I think there a lot of people in the Escanaba area who got to see the Giant Octopus - thanks for representing LD

12:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home